Sunday, March 27, 2011

Communication Update

On a quick note I have a phone that you can call me on and an address you can send me mail to!

Calling me:
Phone #: 071 413 1390

I would LOVE to get your calls! The cheapest way to call me is to use Skype. It’s not free, and you have to use your credit card to purchase credits to call me. From what I understand a 45ish minute conversation is about $10 dollars. Other cheap methods also exist but I’m not super familiar with them. Apparently there are super cheap international calling cards available online. Not sure of the website or brand name but I’m assuming Google could help with that…I’ll look into it and report back.

Sending me something:
Alana McGinty
P.O. Box 316
Alexandria 6185
South Africa

I would also LOVE to still get your letters or packages! I don’t want anyone to think that I’m soliciting packages from them, but I have been asked what I would like to get in the mail so I’m posting this as general information and not as an demand that you send me things! Although I will say that mail in general is a huge morale booster (that is unless it has been intercepted and things have been stolen in which case it is not happy).

ON THAT NOTE! My family was very sweet and sent me a large envelope which was broken into and they took the candy and makeup that was supposed to be in it (I only knew thanks to the customs form). So here are some mail security tips! If you are listing things on a customs form, make the first things be the most boring like “religious materials” or “bibles” (I’m not joking). Also, continue with the Bible quotes on the outside. This isn’t necessary for letters but on packages I think it helps. This is one of the rare situations I condone lying, but LIE, LIE, LIE on customs forms! Say the contents are worth nothing or almost nothing. A suggestion which may not be necessary: if you are sending a large envelope you can put the things inside of it in a smaller envelope b/c if they slice the outside one they won’t take the time to go through another.

Things that I would love to receive in the mail:
-ANY American magazines that you are done with…I’m dying for some celebrity gossip and a Cosmo.
-Any books that you are done reading and enjoyed! I need some good reads – and I can send them back when I’m done!
-Junk food items like candy or trail mix
-Pictures

Internet:
I now have internet! This will be the cheapest way to communicate with me! E-mail is probably the fastest and easiest way to get a hold of me. I have some bad news though. I will not be able to be talking to people via Skype or on Skype video except very rarely. You pay for internet here by the Data and it is not cheap. I have done lots of things to ensure less data usage (stopped: pictures from being loaded (it's weird!), adds from being loaded, automatic updates from happening, and downloaded an offline email thing so I can open internet and it will download my e-mails and I can respond to them offline). As you might imagine live-streaming video is probably the thing that sucks the most data. I did a test Skype the other day and a half hour video chat used HALF of my data bundle that I had just bought (the amount that most volunteers purchase for two months worth of e-mailing/facebooking/blogging!). So, I will take Skype date requests but know I won't be able to do it often.

But like I said - e-mail is the best way to contact me so e-mail me at: alanamcginty@gmail.com. : )

Yay for communication - it's keeping me sane! : )

1 comment:

  1. So if I send a package and listed at customs that there's an ipad and external hard drives. But actually freshly cracked open eggs instead then they'll try to break into the package... correct?

    ReplyDelete